The city of Venice is back again to celebrate its time-honored spectacular Carnevale. Carnival or also known as mardi gras is a fun filled moments of dazzling costume party parades and masquerade balls concluding on Shrove Tuesday of February 21, 2012. The term carnival originates from Latin that means “Farewell, meat!” wherein people are required to fast, throughout the period until Ash Wednesday.
This year 2012 Venice Carnival theme is La vita e teatro! Tutti in maschera or “Life is a theater. It’s time to get masked.” describing Venice as truly the capital of European theatre. The exceptional event celebration will continue for two colorful weeks. Let’s watch the video below.
If you would like to celebrate an important event or simply want to travel to Venice with your event or portrait photography, these types of special event can be unequalled! Venice Carnival formally opened last February 11 accompanied by a huge celebration in Saint Mark’s Square. Then a costumed figure arrives the following day via a rope from the bell tower, traditionally known as the Flight of Angel. A giant group kiss ends the event at midnight in Saint Mark’s Square along with a stunning fireworks showcase across the Venetian lagoon. You may grab the Program Event in PDF form or check out their Official Website for more details.
Venetian masks are traditionally made from papier-mache and sometimes made of leather. Wearing a mask was designed to keep people somewhat anonymous with their lavish costumes. It made it possible for the lower classes of Italian society to get close and rub shoulders with the upper classes.
Venice Carnival Mask Types
- Bauta is a mask which covers the whole face, this was a traditional piece of art, with a stubborn chin line, no mouth, and lots of gilding.
- Columbina is a half mask often highly decorated with gold, silver, crystals and feathers.
- Medico Della Peste or the Plague Doctor with its long beak is one of the most bizarre and recognizable of the Venetian masks.
- Moretta brought out the beauty of feminine features such as the female head, body and mind.
- Volto or Larva mainly white mask and is worn with a tricorn and cloak.
VENICE CARNIVAL’S PORTRAITS IN DISGUISE
Everyone performs a lot of role-playing throughout his life wherein the Venice Carnival amazingly sum it up with its creative mask design. Here are 40 stunning colorful portrait photography of masked people in dazzling costumes taken during the Carnival season. It was a huge tourist attraction irregardless if you’re a Christian or not.
Don’t disguise your soul.”
4. Photo via Yen Baet
5. Photo via Photo-555.com
6. Photo via Alberto Grego Photography
7. Photo via Snicph
8. Photo via Nemodus photos
9. Photo via David Pin
10. Photo via Treflexion
11. Photo via Nemodus photos
12. Photo via Terencetai
13. Photo via Samuel Chinellato
14. Photo via David Pin
15. Photo via David Pin
16. Photo via Giancarlob
17. Photo via TwoZeroWest
18. Photo via MaxCere
19. Photo via Nemodus photos
20. Photo via f_a_z_e_r
you can be whoever you want.”
21. Photo via Nemodus photos
22. Photo via Flemmens
23. Photo via Nemodus photos
24. Photo via Nemodus photos
25. Photo via Ramsesoriginal
26. Photo via Francesco Santo
27. Photo via Sergio Pavan
28. Photo via Shadow13777
29. Photo via David Pin
30. Photo via Ronnyreportage
31. Photo via Anja_johnson
32. Photo via Nemodus photos
33. Photo via David Pin
34. Photo via David Pin
35. Photo via TwoZeroWest
36. Photo via Nicola Del Mutolo
37. Photo via Blueroom66
38. Photo via Nemodus photos
39. Photo via Ronnyreportage
40. Photo via Tiziano Rinaldo
Further Readings You Might Be Interested
1. 30 Surreal Photo Manipulation: Beyond Portrait Design
2. 35 Magical Photography And Illustration Of Cirque du Soleil Posters
3. World’s Largest Chocolate Event: Parade of Dresses in Chocolate
4. Festival Of Colors: 50 Artistic Body Art Paintings
5. Lead Image by PaoloBis via Flickr